For Latest SMS form SMS YARANA Like on Facebook button or Enter you email ID in Subscription box for SMS alert to you inbox

Thursday 4 July 2013

The Whiner's Plaint

THE WHINER’S PLAINT

Going by my passport
They call me Indian abroad
But in my own land
I don’t know who I am.
In South Africa I’m coloured
In the U.S.A. I’m minus red
To the English I am a wog
I still don’t know who I am.
Beyond the Vindhyas I’m a southie
Or more often a Madrasi
In Madras I am a Malayalee
Does anyone know who I am?
To the Muslims I am a Hindu
To the Hindus I’m a Brahmin
Or some other caste name
Do tell me who I am.
If I am to be known by language
Or worse by religion and caste
Sometimes even by my race
Who can say who I am?
I wish they’d call me Indian
And be done with it,
Not bother with anything else
So that for good I know who I am.

                  V. S. Kumar

Popular Posts